Loading Events

« All Events

  • This event has passed.

Birdlegg & The Tight Fit Blues Band at Riley’s Tavern, New Braunfels, Jan 27, 2024 (10 pm – 12:55 am

January 27 @ 9:00 pm - 11:55 pm

Birdlegg & The Tight Fit Blues Band
Riley’s Tavern
10:00 pm to 12:55 am
Riley’s Tavern
8894 FM 1102
New Braunfels, Texas
78132 USA
Phone: (512) 392-3132
Email: info@rileystavern.com
Hours of Operation
Su-Fr: 1pm to 12am
Sa: 1pm to 1am
Eugene P. Pittman (born May 10, 1947), better known as Gene “Birdlegg” Pittman, is an American blues harmonicist, singer and songwriter. He was inspired by the harmonica playing and styling of Sonny Boy Williamson II and Sonny Terry, and started playing the harmonica in 1974, turning fully professional three years later. His own style encompasses country blues, urban blues, funk and rock and roll. He has released several albums to date.
Riley’s history
In September of 1933 J. C. (James Curtis) Riley, at the age of 17, drove to Austin, Texas from his home in Hunter, Texas, some 45 miles. He was in a Model “T” car with his uncle. The purpose of this trip was to obtain a beer license for his soon – to – be beer joint. It was now at the end of prohibition. He camped out on the steps of the Capital building and waited for it to open. He was the first person in line in Texas and got the first beer license!
Riley saw Hunter grow into a “boom town” with cotton farmers to the east and cattle ranchers to the west. Hunter just happened to be the midway point between Austin and San Antonio. The Missouri-Pacific Railroad decided to build a stop because of the water supply, York Creek. When the farmers and ranchers heard of this, they talked the railroad into building a dock to load their cotton and cattle. Soon the town was bustling with business. When Riley opened his doors on the old place, it was an instant success! There were people in the street and loaded beer wagons arriving daily at Riley’s Tavern.
Riley kept the tavern operational until 1991 (he became too sick to run it), or about 58 years. His heyday was between 1933 and 1977. Around 1977 San Marcos and Hays County went “wet” and business then slowed down. By then Riley’s had been open over forty years. Riley was coasting by then.
Prior to Riley taking over the place and before prohibition, the joint was known as the Galloway Saloon. The main part of the building has been dated around the mid-1800s. By the way, Riley’s mother was a Galloway.
Mr. Riley died in 1992 and is buried in York Creek Cemetery, not more than 2 miles from his joint and where he was born.


January 27
9:00 pm - 11:55 pm


Riley’s Tavern